Talaash! Which part of Mumbai do you want to see?

Vashi







Aiming at books. Shooting readers. 

Are you seeing more posts about books and booksellers here on this blog that documents the streets of Mumbai? Yes. Like this photo of a book stall set up by a publisher in the school, my son goes to. There is more to this story…




Towards the end of the last year, there was a big change in my life. A change of job also changed my mode of the commute from the BEST bus to the local train. These days, I travel a long distance by train and the positive side of this change is that I now get more time to read.




However, old habits die hard. I still carry my camera with me, and my eyes are always looking around for interesting things to shoot and one thing that I am shooting more of now is other people reading, book stalls in local train stations and in other places. 


Following a train of thought and building a story

This blog has been shooting a series called #BookshelvesOfMumbai for nearly a decade now. Whenever I go to a place with an interesting bookshelf or chance upon one that is interesting, I would shoot a photograph and post it here. However, since the beginning of the year, I have become a little more interested than the usual about documenting this thread of thought.

Books and reading people, a few observations:
 - Smartphones and cheap data keep people occupied when they travel

- Newspaper reading is down but not out


- Newspaper readership fluctuates. For e.g.: it has increased in the last few weeks because people are hungry for information about the terrorist attack in J&K, the air battles that followed and the pre-election noise


- People don’t read magazines anymore 




- A few AH Wheeler and Co stalls on the Western Line have closed down



Overall, fewer people seem to read and I hope to spot trends and document it using photographs on a new blog which is also called Footpath Bookshop.  like the book store where I sell my digital photo books. 











Photo Books by Mumbai Paused







Digital photo books with stories from the streets of Mumbai are now available at Footpath Bookshop


Explore by places

Archive